Ira (Iradell) J. Phipps was born March 1, 1838. He homesteaded in the 1860's along Bear Creek, at what is now 338 N. Riverside Avenue, the location of the former Dumas Laundry and now Medford's Main Antique Mall. In 1883, Phipps was one of the men who donated land for the formation of the city of Medford. On October 27, 1883, property owners Phipps, C. Mingus and C.W. Broback joined with Jacksonville banker C.C. Beekman and each donated 20 acres of land to the Oregon and California railroad for a Bear Creek Valley depot. Medford grew from that depot; the city was platted December 20, 1883. Mail Tribune 09/13/1982
'William G. D. Edward Dr. Ira Dell Laura May'
'Downing. Calista P. 04/21/1861'