The SOHS Library is OPEN to the public at 106 N. Central Avenue in Medford, with FREE access to the SOHS Archives, from 12:00 - 4:00 pm, Tuesday through Saturday. Appointments are not necessary. Please contact, or call 541-622-2025 ex 200 to ask questions or request research.


Colestin Post Office

Byron Cole was first postmaster having re-named and then moved the White Point post office to Colestin. It was located two miles NW of the White Point station on the SP railroad at the site of the historic Dollarhyde Toll Stagecoach Station. Colestin was named for pioneer settler Rufus Cole who opened the spa there in 1894 with hotel, camp grounds and mineral water bottling plant. On the SP Shasta Line, 3 miles SW of the Siskiyou summit tunnel, the resort had special trains bringing people to the spa from California and Ashland. In the 1920s the resort declined, Cole sold out to Argeris Bros. and moved. Mail went through Siskiyou.
Gust Argeris ran the bottling plant and was postmaster during this era of Colestin's mild revival (1931-1943). He continued shipping mineral water south to San Francisco into the '40s. With WWII and theh collapse of tourism, the resort collapsed and burned to rubble. The only thing left now is the mineral spring.
Where did they go? Following the mail trail of the DPOs of Jackson County, Oregon (SHS 979.5281 S93 2013)

Cole, Byron; Argeris, Gust
Quarter, Section, Township, Range
NW Quarter Section 36, Township 40S, Range 1E
Nearest Creek
Cottonwood Creek